Saturday, May 14, 2011

Dirty Toes & Sticky Fingers

She says:
This weekend will mark the official beginning of the “sunny season” at Rabbit Hollow. It’s more than spring, as it runs into summer, but it’s the feeling that lasts right through till September. You know, when we get to be outside and soak up the sun. Sometimes that is just a decadent relaxing thing, but other times it means doing those outside things you love… at Rabbit Hollow that’s gardening for me, and barbecuing for the Chef.
I was lucky enough to have my greenhouse this year (thanks to a thoughtful hubby who gave me the perfect anniversary gift). That means I have been watching my little seedlings and have been nursing my plants from the farmer’s market and my green thumb foodie friends with tender loving care. Some of those plants will come outside this weekend, and they will be kept company by the seeds that will be sowed in the newly tilled garden with a brand new fence!
I like to plant wacky things in our garden: Easter Egg radishes that come in a bevy of colours, purple carrots (the original look, believe it or not), fingerling potatoes… they don’t just sound cool, they are fun to eat. Many of these plants are heirloom varieties as well, which means they have “true” seeds – ones that will grow the same as your original plant if you plant them. (Hybrids like much of what we buy at the grocery stores will often not produce any fruit.) This is a great way to eat healthy and get reconnected with Mother Earth. You may think I sound a bit too much like a hippie, but on this topic I do agree that knowing where your food comes from is a wonderful thing.

Even if don’t want to get esoteric, I still think the simple act of “digging in the dirt” is great therapy for any of us; it’s a pause from the hectic nature of our lives and a chance to enjoy being outside. Let yourself get into it. Take your shoes off and let your feet feel the grass. Let your toes get dirty (you can wash them later with the garden hose.) And, when you do sit back with a drink in your hand, you can admire your handiwork as it grows and changes throughout the entire sunny season.
*If you are looking for heirloom plants for your garden, ask at your local farmer’s market, or at one of the private nurseries (we love the folks at Dogwood, near our place – they know lots and have a great variety. In downtown Kelowna, I have also had great experiences at the Flower Farm.)

He says:
I have two ways to unplug myself from the craziness of my busy life. One: I go for a hike and pick mushrooms and two: I make smoke. This Sunday marks our first party of the summer, ribs and chickens with friends. I am driving the big rig to their house and smoking all afternoon, and then, we eat! It should be fun, a bunch of people we have not seen in a while from local wineries, restaurants, hotels and in general foodies looking to have fun. I will start ribs around 11am and chicken around noon to be ready to eat around 5pm. This is a great opportunity to practice in front of a crowd who knows good food, so that I can be ready for our first competition on June 10th and 11th in Washington.  There will be lots of sticky fingers Sunday night!
I’ll post a few pictures on my blog and Twitter Sunday afternoon and Monday. I’d love to hear your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment