Sunday, February 20, 2011

Gold Medal Plate Event

Wow, what a fun weekend.
Friday people's choice award great food, great music, and great companies.

Saturday night, although there was 600 people and it was a huge success for the organizers, 300 to 400 in that set up would have been just fine for me, it was very crowded to eat great food standing around. All dishes were awesome, and really nice to see all the chefs running around and me just standing around eating. Martin Juneau from Montreal won the top chef spot in the country. Not with fancy, not with much hoop-la, but simple well executed dishes on both Friday and Saturday nights. For me what really did it was the bang-on wine pairing he did with his food, absolutely incredible match both nights but especially last night with his pork belly dish. In Montreal  most citizens are hockey fans, and personally I don't care much for that sport, but I was sure a proud Montreal fan last night when for the second year in a row a chef from my neck of the woods won top chef. It proved to me that it is not necessary to try to reinvent the wheel but just execute an amazing dish to get the win.

congrats again to Martin Juneau for winning the Gold Medal Plate top chef award.


No comments:

Post a Comment